We have similar agenting styles, and even more importantly both value our relationship. News and updates to get a top literary agent, publisher, and book deal. Erica:Were different in that Kirsten does a lot more co-agenting than I do. Maybe its the prospective client that we missed out on. Chad W. Beckerman: is always looking at submissions! They help you skip that much-maligned slush pile. On the reverse, sometimes our authors are looking for new inspiration and an illustration can be a great way to get those wheels turning. I went back to the drawing board., I signed with an agent, thinking that they would get me consistent work. To bridge these twoindustries, she co-founded Room 228, a consulting company that creates educational marketing materials and literacy programming for children. Here is the: AAR Agent Databaseand the list of AAR members who represent picture books. QueryTracker will not function correctly without javascript. We share with one another,we lean on each other. I mean, youre not their only client. NOTE: As an agency we are closed to new queries and submissions each December 1st to January 15th! 6. Due to the volume of submissions we receive, we are unable toguarantee feedback or advice in our rejections. OrderID Agency OrderID Date Class Rate Patient Name Area Shift Start End Meal Order Reason O 7138574 08/28/22 to 11/05/22 CNA|T . Tell us what you like and we'll recommend books you'll love. Do not submit a full-length manuscript or proposal unless requested. You should know, agents are not going to comment right away (if at all). Theyre pitching. In your query letter, stick to professional accomplishments that relate to writing and publishing. Other times, well sell texts to publishers first and then when it comes time for illustrators, if there isnt someone on our list who we think is right to recommend, our next step will be to look at each others lists, or those of other agent friends. In some cases the text and art may be developing simultaneously off of one another. Today, she is the founder and owner of a boutique childrens book illustration and literary agency, Catbird Productions. They open doors to opportunities. How to Find a Literary Agent for Your BookAdvice from writing professional Jane Friedman. List of Literary Agents 2023-2024 | Agents Looking for New Writers Dont send your work to all of them at once. An online list of agents who represent all genres (not just picture books). Hall is the author of the picture books. Stagger it. "Actor seeking representation" is a bore. Well navigate the waters together. We will email you our periodic newsletter, never more than once a month. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. In each case, they pointed out issues in my work that I knew were there but refused to recognize. Catbird Agency Website: catbirdagency.com/ Twitter: HallWaysKirsten AAR/AALA Member: No Accepts Queries Via. I was able to speak with literary agents from top agencies such as Janklow & Nesbit, Trident Media, Anderson Lit, and Folio. These cookies do not store any personal information. Tugeau 2, A Children's Art & Literary Agency 2231 Grandview Avenue Cleveland Heights, OH 44106 Tugeau 2 proudly serves artists, writers and illustrators with representation in the children's publishing industry. Submit to Susan Hawk Any agents not listed above are CLOSED to submissions. What is one misconception about agents?An age-old misconception originates from a simple questionhow can we give equal quality, time, and support to more than one artist? I'm obsessed by the story-telling opportunities offered by this highly-visual genre! Association of Authors Representatives, Inc. (AAR)AAR members must meet the highest standards and canon of ethics. Most literary agency directories (print and online) are outdated, incomplete, and riddled with mistakes. The profileabout Kirsten HallLiterary Agent that you see herecontains just some of the information youll find in our free BookAgents Directory, with listings for all publishing agents. Brenda Bowen The Book Group All I can say is find the right agent for you, and you wont regret it. We respond to most queries within twelve weeks. Your agent cant be expected to do all the heavy lifting. Submission Guidelines: Hello! Catbird Productions was founded in 2006 by Katarina Soukup. Scroll below now to view the email and postal addressfor Kirsten HallFREE in our BookAgents Directory. They step in when needed. Only considers picture books from established illustrators. News and updates to get a top literary agent, publisher, and book deal. Either way, look for agents who show an appreciation for your visual aesthetic. Only looking for author/illustrators (one individual). But, when it feels right and exciting on our end, we hope that it will be received that way by the publishers. Please submit to SUBMISSIONS@CATAGENCYINC.COM & let us know who you are submitting to in the subject line! There is a lot of uncertainty that comes along with developing a co-agented pitch from just the seed of an idea. But, when it feels right and exciting on our end, we hope that it will be received that way by the publishers. All rights reserved. It was after the 2013 SCBWI NY conference. Queries about books that dont conform, but rather provoke, excite me. In this post, you and I will go through the steps of a submission, from researching agencies to signing on the dotted linewhile having a bit of a heart-to-heart along the way. She is not considering the following adult categories: romance, political thriller, science fiction, horror, or erotica. I always advise illustrators who are just starting out to identify what they can and/or want to do, and outsource the rest. Hall is the author of the picture books The Gold Leaf and The Jacket, which was a New York Times Notable Book in 2014. Managing Agent, USA for a London-based children's illustration agency representing 150+ incredibly talented artists. Excellent source for agent interviews, kidlit information, and an agent database you can search by age category (e.g., picture books). Look, I get it, man. Were both trying hard to keep the number of people we represent manageable. When looking for the first time at an artists portfolio, I like to see a cross section of their work. Were different in that Kirsten does a lot more co-agenting than I do. With the amount of information available to us through articles, workshops, podcasts, and the like, it takes just a bit of elbow grease to figure things out. What is one misconception about agents?That were glamorous, haughty gatekeepers! She is looking for visual storytellers with distinctive, unique portfolios that will stand out in a crowded market. Some favorite titles that provide a sense of her tastes: Picture book: Penguin and Pinecone by Salina Yoon; Creepy Carrots by Aaron Reynolds and Peter Brown; I Dont Want to be a Frog by Dev Petty; Bad Dog by Mike Boldt, Middle grade: Merci Suarez Changes Gears by Meg Medina; The Year the Swallows Came Early by Katherine Fitzmaurice; Amal Unbound by Aisha Saeed; The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, Young adult: The Sea is Salt and So Am I by Cassandra Hartt; Dumplin by Julie Murphy; The Cost of All Things by Maggie Lehrman; To All the Boys Ive Loved Before by Jenny Han; The Girl in the Blue Coat by Monica Hesse. What I know when co-agenting with Erica is that no matter what happens well always be good. Literary Rambles: Spotlighting Childrens Book Authors, Agents, & Publishing Excellent source for agent interviews, kidlit information, and an agent database you can search by age category (e.g., picture books). Catbird Productions, which will package books for publishers, as well as operate as a boutique literary agency for childrens book author/illustrators, with an emphasis on previously unpublished authors/ illustrators. Nonfiction/Self-Help A. Goddard Agencies are still in there, but the box is getting more crowded all the time. NOTE: Each year Fuse Literary, as an agency, is closed to new submissions and queries between December 1st to January 15th. Erica:We have to make sure that the risk and expectations are clear for all involved. For an author or illustrator, most of the benefits of having an agent are fairly obvious. Kayla is also open to representing illustrators. But theyre not the only key to the door. Here youll find everything you need to submit work to Upstart Crow Literary. More on her wish list, here. LK Literary Agency is a boutique children's literature agency, so while we are open to general submissions, we kindly ask that you review our guidelines carefully ahead of sending in your submission to be sure we're a good fit for the wonderful work you do.. We are only open to electronic submissions, which means that unless someone from LKLA has specifically requested you send . Kirsten Hall is President of Catbird, a boutique childrens literary and illustration agency. Check out her Literaticastpodcast. And I can already see that the books were making together are going to be magical. A good contract should cover not only the essential points of the job/deal but also the worst-case scenarios: What if your client doesnt pay? Sometimes those opportunities come in fast and sometimes they dont. Christy Ewers: is mostly closed to submissions for the time being. The Cat Agency Inc. (Agents) (Submissions) Open to illustrator & author-illustrator submissions. And her first trade picture bookThe Jacketwas a 2014 New York Times Notable!) What do you look for in a submission?The very best in art and literature reveals something real and true about ourselves, and childrens books are no exception. . Stop right there. The second-worst thing to do is to rest on your laurels. 5. And so on. This is why its so important to make sure theres a termination clause in your contract. How I Went From Unemployed to Building a $30K/month Online Business in 12 Months! This is both a positive and a negative: As a coach, they help your career. Kirsten Hall is a former preschool and elementary school teacher who has authored more than a hundred learn-to-read stories for emergent readers. Childrens/YA D. Bester Ive seen really exciting work come out of it. What I know when co-agenting with Erica is that no matter what happens well always be good. And it isnt cute if you dont follow the rules. Postcards, social media, industry events, bespoke product platforms, blogs, galleries, magazines, and store visits are all tools in a rapidly growing toolbox. Either way, I hope this post helps you move forward with your career. HOLD IT! Childrens/YA C. Plum-Ucci You have to register (its FREE unless you upgrade to premium) to use this, but once you register and sign in, you can track your query and find which authors are represented by which agents, a publisher list, an agent list, author success stories, and more. But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. But Im really thrilled to be co-agenting with Erica. Here is a little secret: most of the childrens agents I know are incredibly warm, and kind and fun. Kirsten works intimately with her clients to conceive and develop original story pitches. Kirsten:Its so truein the past month alone weve had some particularly exciting pairings between Stimola and Catbird! Fiction/Mystery B. Harper After about a year, and no work, I asked to break our agreement. Here are their answers: What do you look for in a submission? Do not submit a full-length manuscript or proposal unless requested. In some cases the text and art may be developing simultaneously off of one another. I hear the comparison that the agent-client relationship is like a marriage. It is a precise and qualified process, rather than an independent, possibly unpublished artist spread betting their work across editors and art directors who they do not know apart from an impression of them through social media. Literary Agents for Children's Books 2023-2024 - Use our free List of Literary Agents to find children's literary agents accepting submissions for fiction and nonfiction: young adult book agents (YA), middle grade book agents (MG), picture book agents, and chapter book agents. Most things are negotiable. Can you terminate the contract if things go south? Flannery Literary (Agent) (Submissions), Foundry Literary + Media (Agents & Submissions), Full Circle Literary (Agents) (Submissions), Gallt & Zacker Literary Agency (Agents) (Submissions), Golden Wheat Literary (Agents)(Submissions), Greenhouse Literary Agency (Agents) (Submissions), Howard Morhaim Literary Agency (Agents) (Submissions). It can make me uneasy because it takes time and sometimes doesnt work. Maybe its the book that we havent placed yet, but still so strongly believe has a place in the world. Ive asked agents James Burns, Kirsten Hall, Jennifer Linnan, Alexandra Penfold, Linda Pratt,and Erica Rand Silverman three simple questions. Can you do it without an agent? Submissions LK Literary Agency Why do I (acting as an author or illustrator) need an agent?

West Coast Offense Passing Concepts, Karen Alpo Martinez Wife, Articles C

catbird agency submissions