E Publisher: OpenBible.info. 38 "You have heard that it was said,'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' 39 But I tell you not to resist an evil person.But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. And his commandments are not burdensome. By the misrepresentation of the testimony of Gods word, Satan has convinced people that, if ever God did make such a pledge, He certainly has not honored it. When he had entered Capernaum, a centurion came forward to him, appealing to him, Lord, my servant is lying paralyzed at home, suffering terribly. And he said to him, I will come and heal him. But the centurion replied, Lord, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant will be healed. People say that if you enemy strikes you, strike back harder. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. There is no king, governor, president, dictator, lord, prince, emperor, or any other kind of ruler who has pledged themselves never to lie to steal from, or kill any one of their subjects no matter how treasonous, ravenous, slanderous, insurrectionist, arsonist, murderous, thieving, cruel, activist, reactionary, or criminal that subject may become. He has stated that He will never lie, never steal, and never kill no matter what situation may arise to call for or to justify such things. This is the great and first commandment. And do not take an oath by your head, for you cannot make one hair white or black. Thirteen men looked to their left side to see what all the ruckus was all about. Was John the Baptist conceived via an immaculate conception? This must take place, but the end is not yet. The relationship is spiritual for it is in this, and not the physical sense, that we are Gods children. INTRO: For I do not want you to be unaware, brothers, that our fathers were all under the cloud, and all passed through the sea. Special moments make special memories. 1:16). This command is known by some theologians as:The "Second Mile Principle". read more, Scripture: 48(O)Therefore you shall be perfect, just (P)as your Father in heaven is perfect. And a harvest of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace. And whoever shall compel you to go a mile, go with him two. Were those laws His perfect will? Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away (Matthew 5:39-42). {this was For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. You may unsubscribe from Bible Gateways emails at any time. In thirty-seven verses the Lord says, The Law; Moses; ye say; ye have heard; or it hath been said, but I say unto you. Ye have heard that it hath been said, (old) An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: But I say unto you, (new) That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. F Our next post will be titled: An Eye for an Eye. And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform to the Lord what you have sworn.. This verse comes right smack dab in the middle of the most explicitly nonviolent teachings of Jesus in Matthew 5. Labs What situation was David going through when he wrote Psalm 42? 79). of adjectives. Theme: Showing the importance of taking the extra step. By submitting your email address, you understand that you will receive email communications from Bible Gateway, a division of The Zondervan Corporation, 3900 Sparks Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546 USA, including commercial communications and messages from partners of Bible Gateway. Go, gather together all the Jews who are in Susa, and fast for me. Both of them were running together, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. And Jesus said, Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. And they cast lots to divide his garments. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already. And even though Jesus is clearly the one without any power at all in the situation, the soldier is captivated by what he has to say, because Jesus speaks from the unique wisdom that exists only in the hearts of the oppressed. Grace is stricter than the law. Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. The soldiers attempt to intimidate and humiliate the peasant now leads to uncomfortable embarrassment. 2:23, Job 25:3; Ps. Going The Extra Mile When You Have To Grind Your Teeth And Fight, One Small Change Will Energize Tomorrow's Sermon, Slow Down, Big Fellawhat A Motorcyclist Taught Me About Preaching, Spit-Shine Tomorrow's Sermon Before You Go To Bed Tonight. And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. powerpoint and formatted text at: http://www.gbcdecatur.org/sermons/SecondMile.html If your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault, between you and him alone. This identification of the children of God is powerfully meaningful. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. THE SECOND MILE Let what you say be simply Yes or No; anything more than this comes from evil. W You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord. What the Bible says about Going the Extra Mile ( From Forerunner Commentary ) Matthew 5:38-42 Normally and customarily, self-defense is a legal right in virtually every nation on earth, but in the Christian's case, God says, "No, it is not a right. Do not even the tax collectors do so? If a man is a Preacher He Follow Christ's journey to the Cross. ~Matthew 5:41 When Jesus spoke these words, the audience had a very firm understanding of the background. If the movie industry were to prepare films depicting these principles, no one would be interested in viewing them. Then the LORD said to Moses, Thus you shall say to the children of Israel . Our goal is that our comment section helps us learn from one another and grow to be more like Christ. One. Title: Living in the Second Mile Jesus said to carry the soldiers pack for two miles. Report, July 28 2015 Could it be possible that He blesses him in return for his curses, does good to him who hates Him so much, and prays for him who is despitefully uses and persecutes Him? Time To Go The Second Mile. (Mark 2:15). It, together with its Author, is the same yesterday, today, and forever (Hebrews 13:8). Anglican. Now the Lord says not only to go one expected mile but go an unexpected second mile. They are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show to his servants the things that must soon take place. To the human mind, this is the only available solution to the problem. May you come to see God as Christ New Him. 42Give to him who asks you, and (F)from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. GOING THE SECOND MILE - MATT. The old, He classified as their way, against which He set forth that which was His way. 40 If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. They do not see that there is another and infinitely better way to deal with the rebellion than counterforce. Truly, His ways are mas much higher than our ways as the heavens are above the earth. It is in these moments that the opportunity for true witness is opened up. Bible Verses for Meditation. But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your yes be yes and your no be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation. For Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit; let him turn away from evil and do good; let him seek peace and pursue it. Whatever house you enter, first say, Peace be to this house! As they went out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name. They would be a financial failure. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. Then Jesus came and denied that that was His way, swept all that aside, and gave the people anew code of behavior. D Pingback: God Is Not A Criminal | The Bible In Your Hand, Pingback: The Way of the Cross | The Bible In Your Hand, Pingback: The Mystery-unfolding Cross | The Bible In Your Hand, Pingback: The Mystery of Iniquity Satans Masterpiece of Deception | The Bible In Your Hand, Pingback: An Eye for an Eye | The Bible In Your Hand. Those who are Gods children have the same character as He has. read more, Scripture: Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. Show hospitality as Aquila and Priscilla (1 Cor. 40If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also. Go the second mile. To them, there is no more frightening prospect. The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz, which he saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem in the days of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz, and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. If you love me, you will keep my commandments. We go beyond what is expected in love and forgiveness. read more. You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. Disciples Go The Second Mile To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. 11:44; 19:2; Luke 6:36; [Col. 1:28; 4:12]; James 1:4; 1 Pet. Luke 23:26 And as they led him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. Genesis 24:1-20, Matthew 5:38-48, Denomination: Every child lives by the life of his father. By making this free choice, he would not only be demonstrating the extravagant generosity of God; he would also be placing the soldier into an embarrassing situation, because to allow the extra mile would actually be breaking the law. . Christ continued His instruction in these words: You have heard that it was said, You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy. But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. N 25:40). S If a man is a Logger - He wants to be a Good Logger The word twain means two. If He did not, then Christ bore a false witness of His Father. Roman soldiers could force citizens of Israel or any foreigner to carry their backpacks for a mile. A touch can mean much. But a man named Ananias, with his wife Sapphira, sold a piece of property, and with his wife's knowledge he kept back for himself some of the proceeds and brought only a part of it and laid it at the apostles' feet. [Prov. A solution to this problem offered in our day is to teach dispensationalism. Jesus walked 1000's of miles for His ministry of love, now He is asking His disciples to walk the extra mile if compelled to go a mile. For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled. This revised article originally appeared on Corey Farrs blog. But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere. The First Mile is Your Duty; We Are to Walk the Second Mile for Christ. Lets make ourselves more valuable as neighbors, employees, citizens and Christians. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world. It is interesting to note a like illustration of the temper that yields to compulsion of this kind, rather than struggle or resist, in the teaching of the Stoic Epictetus--"Should there be a forced service, and a soldier should lay hold on thee, let him work his will; do not resist or murmur" (Diss. The oppressive system has been caught with its pants down, and it doesnt know what to do. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. It is not about me but thee. Not ME but WE. P You have heard that it was said, An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. Why did Jesus associate with disreputable people? It comes from the Sermon on the Mount context, "If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles." This is to say that the law is to be kept under all circumstances. Im a Musician - I want to be a successful Pianist, Singer, Songwriter. He presented a Father who loved His enemies and who would give them only blessing and goodness. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. By the transforming agency of His grace, the image of God is reproduced in the disciples; he becomes a new creature. And God spoke all these words saying . He does not counsel us to love our enemies except for Satan. (Matthew 5:38, 39). And falling to his knees he cried out with a loud voice, Lord, do not hold this sin against them. And when he had said this, he fell asleep. Leviticus 19:1-2,9-18 1 Corinthians 3:10-11,16-23 Matthew 5:38-48 Psalm August 11 2015 Why is it that you have contrived this deed in your heart? He is explaining the way in which God desires His directives, Thou shalt not kill, steal, and lie, to be understood, consider the difference between humanitys philosophy and the teachings of Jesus Christ. Therefore, they are the truth in the strictest sense. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. Handed down. There will be earthquakes in various places; there will be famines. 47And if you greet your [b]brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? Then Peter came up and said to him, Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. (Luke 5:17), What "little ones" was Jesus talking about? For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. As surely as forgiveness is to be forever, the turning of the other cheek is likewise to be forever. Go the second mile! Therefore, humanity might well tremble in dread before such a God if He were indeed altogether such as ourselves. He presented God as the perfect keeper of the law. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. Y Copyright 2003-2023 | Outreach, Inc., All rights reserved. Introduction: R Sign up now for the latest news and deals from Bible Gateway! Therefore, most people have no disposition to surrender the security provided by their defending and protecting their rights and possessions. Additionally we ask that you: Corey Farr is a graduate of Northern Seminary. John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. . Just look at this one idea, "to the second mile," which has become almost a clich in everyday speech. (Matthew 5:41) He For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes in the Dispersion: Greetings. But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But what no earthly ruler has ever done or ever will do, God has done. Report, January 01 2016 INTRODUCTION: (Explain Vs. 38-42) This scripture is from the very well known passage of the Sermon On The Mount. And after it was sold, was it not at your disposal? He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light. And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying: Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Yet far too few Christians apply themselves .to this principle. "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth. As many as seven times? Jesus said to him, I do not say to you seven times, but seventy-seven times. Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular, Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular. But Jesus said to return love for hate, blessing for cursing, and goodness for evil. 41. . (verse 22). Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. No, that is not the way these words are to be understood. He would point to the changing of the law as clear proof that it was imperfect and needed to be changed. Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth. 52-week preaching calendar to help you plan your sermons, Customizable sermon manuscripts for verse-by-verse preaching, Preach with creativity and impact throughout the year, [NEW YEAR] 4-Week Series to kick off 2023, [PRODUCTIVITY] Fulfill your full potential, [FOUNDATIONS] Getting back to what matters most. owned by Pastor Lester Bentley unless specifically stated. If you are Gods children, begotten by His Spirit, you live by the life of God. John to the seven churches that are in Asia: Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth. As a firm believer in nonviolence who has spent time in some places of almost Roman-esque oppression, it is exhausting to have people challenge pacifist views over and over again with tired clichs to prove pacifism is pointless, stupid, and even cowardly. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. How did Jesus sit on the donkey and her offspring on one time in Matthew 21:5-8? Withdraw or retire, literally or figuratively. Can anyone help explain in full the meaning of Matthew 5:38-48? The readings for today are from: His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. We are not going to do anything unless its fair or we are treated fairly. About the ninth hour of the day he saw clearly in a vision an angel of God come in and say to him, Cornelius. And he stared at him in terror and said, What is it, Lord? And he said to him, Your prayers and your alms have ascended as a memorial before God. But . But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. You can visualize a Jew counting his steps until he makes that last 1,000th step but not one step farther. This This was very early in the life of the Disciples. Simon, who helped Jesus carry his cross, is a good example of this. read more, Scripture: Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. God spoke these words to Moses with the direction that they be told to, and obeyed by, the people. Today's Verse: And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Expand. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill. A. This means that God will never take Satans life but would reach out to save him if possible. They obeyed their laws but not the Lord. This aspect of the law was studied back in post 7. There is a reason the word martyr literally means witness,and there is a reason why the greatest witness to the heart of God was precisely God himself becoming a martyr accepting death at the hands of the oppressors to overturn not only the system of empire, but also sin, death, and oppression everywhere. Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear, and who keep what is written in it, for the time is near. With the YouVersion Bible App, you can read, watch, listen, and share on your smartphone or tablet, and online at Bible.com. 41 And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. He now taught another new law of the second mile. Cite this page: Editor: Stephen Smith. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. NKJV, Charles F. Stanley Life Principles Bible, 2nd Edition, Comfort Print: Growing in Knowledge and Understanding of God Through His Word, NKJV, Abide Bible, Red Letter Edition, Comfort Print: Holy Bible, New King James Version, NKJV, Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible, Red Letter Edition: Bringing to Life the Ancient World of Scripture. We have entered into this Thanksgiving week, in a few . (Exodus 20:1). What would be some verses from the Bible to save a marriage? At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion of what was known as the Italian Cohort, a devout man who feared God with all his household, gave alms generously to the people, and prayed continually to God. Listen! William Booth (Salvation Army), absence from the meeting, sent a one-word telegram:Others. God is only interested in people. This is he of whom it is written, Behold, I send my messenger before your face, who will prepare your way before you.. (Mat 5:38-41) "And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain." But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. The Holy Bible, English Standard Version Copyright 2001 by Crossway Bibles a division of Good News Publishers, All rights reserved. Rather that you can take another by your own initiative. He, she, it, they, them, same. But the people who gathered to hear that wonderful Sermon on the Mount recorded in Matthew 5-7, came with erroneous concepts of the law and the kingdom of God. It was the truth and, as such, it had to be accepted. read more. 5:38-41). While they were perplexed about this, behold, two men stood by them in dazzling apparel. Individuals who return evil for evil, do not turn the other cheek, do not go the second mile, and do not bless those who despitefully use them are not children of God. In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads: And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Israel, during the time of Christ, was under Roman rule. No orders will be mailed until March 13, 2023. INTRODUCTION: This scripture is from the very well known passage of the Sermon On The Mount. As many as seven times?. Now when the Pharisees gathered to him, with some of the scribes who had come from Jerusalem, they saw that some of his disciples ate with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed. The enunciation of the law of God is Gods own pledge that we are forever secure from His doing any such thing no matter how we may treat Him in return. Does God gives us political leaders or do we vote them by choice? Verb - Present Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular. We show up to do something for God and then get angry because not enough showed up so we For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? 25:40). H Pentecostal. read more, Denomination: Christians are to know no other way. 65:913; Luke 12:16, 17; Acts 14:17, Gen. 17:1; Lev. Report Do not even the Gentiles do the same? A Sermon about going above and beyond what is expected. Do not even the Gentiles do the same? . For all the saints. Christians should be expected to do more than whats expected of them. Human beings saw God pouring good upon the dwellers in Sodom and Gomorrah for a limited time, after which He exchanged the blessings for cursing, and the good for evil as He poured upon them the flood of fire and brimstone. He is currently located in the Middle East in Lebanon, a tiny country next to war-torn Syria, where he lives and works onsite at a residential facility and elementary school for both Syrian and Lebanese orphans and children at risk. How did the spirit of God move upon the face of the waters in Genesis 1:2? Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 5:41, ESV: And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Read full chapter He will be trying to lure you off to the side somehow. Judge not, that you be not judged. A Scriptural Rosary offers the chance to not only reflect on each mystery during the decade, but also to recite a sacred biblical verse or a longer bible passage between each decade of prayers. T Untie them and bring them to me. A selection will be made of that passage that reveals, if not better than any of the others the principles of the law as Christ espoused them. Vote Up And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 4. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, You fool! will be liable to the hell of fire. Why? The second mile opens up conversations that would never happen in the first mile. You will find them in St. Matthew's Gospel, chapter five, verse 41: And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. This sermon supports the understanding of humility, which used properly is one of the best weapons in a Christians arsenal; and that is by traveling a second mile on a difficult, lonely road; a road Jesus traveled, a road that he want us to travel.

Who Is Mandakini In Ponniyin Selvan, Articles G

go the second mile bible verse