Dropping down to 30 grains results in an easier-shooting 835 fps and a group of 1.13 inches. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Deployed military should use stateside address. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. However, Dick Casull started with the 45 Colt single action and the weak 45 Colt case to come up with his cartridge, which eventually became the 454 Casull. There are some excellent jacketed bullets available for use in the 45 Colt, including the Sierra 240-grain JHP,Hornady250-grain XTP-JHP, and the Speer 260-grain JHP, all of which I prefer for deer-sized game. We are currently populating the cartridge drop-down menu with updated cartridge renderings, new propellants and bullets, and links to complimentary product pages. Lyman now offers it as #452424, and it is a 255-grain bulletor thereabouts, depending upon the alloy used. Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th edition. The 45 Colt also predates the 38 Special, the 44 Special, and the 45 ACP, and not only is it more than 80 years older than the 44 Magnum, but it also has more case capacity and in the proper sixguns can outrank the 44 Magnum. Bullet sizes vary from .450 for jacketed to .454 for some lead in diameter. Cartridge Type: Pistol/Revolver. So both the up and down positions were closer in speeds and the spreads were noticeably closer. * (WC= WadCutter, SWC= Semi-WadCutter, HP= Hollow Point, RN= Round Nose, FMC= Full Metal Case, FMJ= Full Metal Jacket, JHP= Jacketed Hollow Point and if GC indicated, means Gas Check at bottom of lead bullet), Loads for .45 Colt: That is, if the loading table calls for 40 grains of black powder, then one uses a 40-grain volume powder measure for the same amount by volume of Pyrodex. You may wish to peruse the list of cartridges first as many times the difference in 45-70 and 45/70 may mean finding data or drawing a blank. They often equal or surpass the accuracy from my carefully tailored hand-cast bullets. LYMAN Reloading Products A trusted Brand since the 1800?s. Normal powders vary quite a bit and also have a larger spread between shots. My loading dies are from Lee, Lyman, and RCBS, and all of them give excellent service. Yes, these loads in this rifle could be stretched farther, however for feral pigs or white tail deer from a stand one would rarely have to shoot any farther than this. In 1898, Colt made the necessary changes to permit its guns to be used with smokeless powders; however, it wasnt until 1900 (revolvers with serial number 192,000 or higher) that Colt began to officially warrant its guns for such. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. 1,578 fps from a 24" universal receiver (all use rem brass and rem 9-1/2 primer). This significantly improved its accuracy when compared to the original cylinder with its typical oversized throats, and resulted in increased velocity. However, I crimp the #45-270 over the front band to ensure trouble-free feeding. While only sporadically available as a component, the Remington .456-inch 250-grain lead hollowbase bullet will obturate to minimize bullet tilting. Cast bullet loads in the Marlin .45 Colt all the power and accuracy Also slugged were guns 121xxx (1887) and number 134xxx (1890) that measured .4515 inch and .451 inch, respectively. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Marlin and Winchester 1894s will both handle heavier-than-standard .45 Colt loads but 1860, 1866 and 1873 replicas are for standard loads only! [See page on powder location in case affecting FPS elsewhere on pages] About the same time the Winchester Trappers arrived, Marlin had a very limited run of 500 each of .44 Magnum and .45 Colt Trappers. 9 with 15 gr. Winners must respond within 30 days of receiving notification or an alternate winner will be selected. Michigan Deptartment of Natural Resources, State Agency: Technical Specifications (based on the respective safety standard - see more details in tab "Datasheet" if available) Caliber: .45 Colt. I would conclude this powder is much more consistent in speeds than others that I have tried in the .45 Colt. ), RCBS #450255KT (258 gr. After all the work and expense, it turned out to be a somewhat mediocre performer. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. It is a good choice for self-defense, long-range shooting, hunting everything on four legs, and just plain fun shooting. Missouri Deptartment of Conservation, State Agency: im leaning towards the ruger blackhawk bisley 45 long cot 5.5 barrel. The charge weight is 9.2 grains. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. They are my choice for the heaviest loads especially with cast bullets weighing 300 grains and heavier. In 1935 we entered the Magnum Sixgun Era with the arrival of the 357 Magnum; however, long before that we had the 45 Colt. My gun was a new model Bisely blackhawk long barrel. Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, State Agency: I'll be a nice to you as you'll let me be, or as mean as you make me be. New York Department of Environmental Conservation, State Agency: With the 45 Colt, IMR 4227 is almost magical in being able to provide excellent accuracy when other powders will not. With my alloys this bullet runs around 280 to 285 grains while at the same time having a slightly shorter nose than the original Keith design so it fits in all Colt cylinders. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. These can be safely driven to 1,200 fps in the Ruger Blackhawk. The larger diameter ring that sizes the lower half of the case provides longer case life and eliminates the typical swaged bulge just ahead of the solid head. One problem inherent with the original #454424 was the fact that when sized to 0.451 to 0.452 inch, the crimping groove almost disappears. Custom five-shooters built on the Ruger Blackhawk, the Ruger Redhawk, and the Freedom Arms Model 83 top the list. On the other end are the Ruger Only loads. When the Marlin and Winchester Trappers first arrived in the early '80s, the #1 45 Colt bullet was still Elmer Keith's #454424 weighing about 260 grains from my alloy. Lyman Reloading Products | Titan Reloading Equipment This lets it feed in many cowboy-action guns and use common 45 ACP load data. The 9mm/.38 Lyman #356637 HP is nominally a 124 grain HP version of their excellent 147 grain RNFP for the 9mm Parabellum. However, it cannot be approached the same as smokeless. Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, State Agency: The new big bore pistols feature industry-first capacity, with a standard 15-round capacity and 22+1 rounds of 10mm or 18+1 rounds of .45 ACP from the extended magazines. S.A.A.M.I. and while they do not have the slick action of the slightly smaller Model 1892, they are fast handling and come up to the shoulder quickly. A quote from Lyman Reloading Handbook, 49th Edition states, The grooves of pre-World War II revolvers normally measure .454 in diameter. It takes at least two rounds to be able to see if the rounds are too long to accomplish both operations. Lyman has a 255 grain .45 Colt gas-checked bullet, #454490GC, that was designed by Ray Thompson who also brought forth the .357 Magnum #358156GC and the .44 Magnum #431244GC. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. During Lyman's long history in the manufacture of uality reloading euipment, the most freuent uestion we received from our customers was when is Lyman My brass of choice is Starlines excellent 45 Colt brass with CCI 300 Large Pistol primers for all powders, except I switch to CCI 350 Magnum Pistol primers with IMR 4227, H110, W296, and all black powder and black powder substitutes. These can be safely driven to 1,200 fps in the Ruger Blackhawk. Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, State Agency: Gun Digest Reloading Data Center - Gun Digest (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. There were no 45 Colt heavyweight bullets available at the time, so we sized down 300-grain 45-70 bullets in several stages, going from around 0.460 inch to 0.452 inch. I would think that the load you are using would be safe. sets maximum standards for cartridges; this standard must be set at a level safely usable in the weakest common denominator. However, it cannot be approached the same as smokeless. The standard groove diameter for the .45 Colt is .451 inch minimum and .452 inch maximum. RCBS also offers an excellent bullet of standard weight with the #45-255KT that has a better crimping groove than the Keith bullet. The Oregon Trail 250-grain RNFP bullet should be seated with an overall cartridge length of 1.570 to 1.580 inches, depending on case length. Contrary to what has been traditionally published, records indicate that early loads from Frankford Arsenal contained a copper case loaded with a 250-grain, roundnose flatpoint lead bullet pushed with 30 grains of black powder, with additional charge weights soon added. Even with their short barrels, they still carry nine rounds in the tubular magazine. When he died in 1862, the company was dedicated to producing the same percussion revolvers. Pet Loads and Handloader are registered trademarks of Wolfe Publishing Company. If you want those speeds and power, buy a .44 magnum. The .45 Colt is rapidly approaching 150 years in existence, and it remains one of our finest, most useful, versatile and handloaded sixgun cartridges. It also is a most versatile powder as it can be used for standard loads for the Colt SAA and heavy loads for the Blackhawk. Any time I have a 45 Colt that doesnt shoot the way I think it should, I dont give up until I try this load of IMR 4227 with Keiths bullet. (See note on Powders below or read all about various Powders.) No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. Weights in parenthesis are as-cast from wheelweights. In 1935 we entered the Magnum Sixgun Era with the arrival of the 357 Magnum; however, long before that we had the 45 Colt. Bullet is .452 diameter. Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife, State Agency: Smith & Wesson revolver throats have varied significantly. Contest void where prohibited by law. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. HS7 is slowest of the group (Similar to 2400) Employees and agents of Publishers Development Corp. are not eligible. For many decades reloaders have been arguing over whether or not H110 and W296 were identical. When the new 454 Magnum revolvers (as they were first called) arrived, however, the brass was lengthened so it could not be used in standard 45 Colt sixguns. Universal is an excellent powder for the 45 Colt with 8.0 grains under a 250-grain bullet duplicating the old black powder load. 53 pg. This same bullet can be loaded to much higher velocity in Rugers large-frame single- and double-action sixguns. (I) Giveaway ends May 31, 2023. Contrary to popular belief, the Mason patented spring-loaded, cylinder-pin release catch first appeared in 1896 around serial number 164,000, which were still black powder guns. All entries must be received by giveaway end date. I have been pleasantly surprised by the Marlin Trapper. Next we will look at jacketed bullets in .45 Colt leverguns. My maine load is the Lyman 454190 cast of ww + 2% tin. There were no 45 Colt heavyweight bullets available at the time, so we sized down 300-grain 45-70 bullets in several stages, going from around 0.460 inch to 0.452 inch. Associated taxes and fees are the responsibility of winners. You find load data for cartridges in caliber .45 Colt with all common powders and bullets by clicking the "Loads in this caliber" button above. I was fortunate to find one of each. like original Colts. It would also be excellent for a defense load. VihtaVuori Oy Company, reloading booklet (1995) Numerous magazine articles on reloading special calibers and personal loads where noted. They often equal or surpass the accuracy from my carefully tailored hand-cast bullets. Sam Colt became a millionaire producing percussion revolvers. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. My powders of choice are Clays, HP-38, HS-6, Universal, Trail Boss, H110, IMR 4227, W296, and W231. The new-for-2023 lineup includes ultralight hunting stocks and a VGA 2-pound adjustable vertical-grip stock. The Smith & Wesson Model 29 is the sixgun by which all other .44 Magnums are judged. The revolver and ammunition were officially adopted for service in 1873. 454190 (255 grains) shares a similar profile as the original Government bullet but is a plainbase design that is generally very accurate and can be sized to around .454 to .455 inch for guns with larger throats. Winners will be notified by certified mail on official letterhead. The .45 Auto Rim | Cast Bullet Association | Online Forum | Bullet West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, State Agency: Reloader 7 for 45-70? | Glock Talk Some people have tried to load the .45 Colt to levels of the .44 Magnum. Moving up to the second level, loads at around 1,000 fps with the same-weight bullet are used in the Colt New Frontier, Smith & Wesson Model 25/625, Ruger Flat-Top New Model, and the Ruger New Vaquero. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. Giveaway prizes may have evidence of being test fired or exhibit minor handling marks. South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, State Agency: When the Marlin and Winchester Trappers first arrived in the early 80s, the #1 45 Colt bullet was still Elmer Keiths #454424 weighing about 260 grains from my alloy. Texas Parks & Wildlife Department, State Agency: For testing I go with three shots at 45 yards. However, there are two problems associated with it: case capacity and cylinder throat diameters. Pyrodex is cleaner burning than black powder and results in less fouling of the barrel. The older was slower Fast-burning in pistol calibers. : .451" Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data. No substitutions or transfers to third parties allowed. Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, State Agency: For example with the 4-5/8" Ruger Blackhawk, I use the NEI 310-grain Keith bullet over 21.0 grains of WW296 or H110 for 1,125 fps in the sixgun and 1,445 fps from the Trapper Barrel. The 45 Colt brass was up to the task. I can not find any reliable load data for Blue Dot with cast bullets. and how they grouped at ther yrds. This load will certainly handle deer-sized game. SWC - 9.0 grains Unique Lyman # 452664 , 250 gr. The Colt Single Action Army, Colt New Frontier, Ruger New Model Flat-Top, Ruger New Vaquero, and Smith & Wesson Model 25/625 are all very close strength-wise. I normally stay under 900 fps with a 250-grain bullet in Colt Single Action Army revolvers and its replicas. These two bullets in a custom five-shot Blackhawk or Freedom Arms Model 83 five-shooter can be driven to 1,450 fps with W296 or H110. Additional evidence can be found in Colt-published specifications dated June 1924 that list the .45 Colt with a groove diameter of .451 inch minimum and .452 inch maximum (with bore diameter being .444 inch minimum and .445 maximum). (I) Giveaway ends April 30, 2023. Nevada Department of Wildlife, State Agency: All Rights Reserved. No purchase necessary. Contest open to U.S. residents only. I have yet to find any levergun or sixgun that does not shoot this Dick Casull-designed bullet exceptionally well. I have used them to take big game, including mule deer and bears. (III) Giveaway winner(s) chosen by random drawing. His 45 Colt bullet was #454424 and was available for decades from Lyman. 458 is a rifle bullet. We are blessed to have many excellent cartridges and sixguns available to us, but it would be hard to find any cartridge that is as versatile as the old 45 Colt. I custom tailor my loads for the Trapper to match with the sixgun I am using alongside. It has many additional virtues, primarily its big-bore performance and reliability. Due to their reduced velocity combined with greater resistance in the bore, I dont recommend loads that produce less than 750 fps because there is a significant chance of sticking a bullet in the bore. Share to Twitter. Reddings excellent Dual Ring Carbide sizing die was used to prep cases as it works the case less, results in longer case life, seems to improve accuracy and eliminates the Coke bottle shape forward of the head. (II) Limit one (1) entry per household; multiple entries will disqualify entrants. Factory warranties may apply in some cases. The minimum load for a 200 gr cast SWC in 45 Colt is listed as 8.6 gr Unique for 918 fps. Keiths #454424 was an excellent bullet, but it has been improved by Dave Scovill and is offered by RCBS as #45-270SAA. I prefer to use 250-grain jacketed bullets in conjunction with +P loads, which is a subject for another day. This brings us to powders, and I use a lot of Hodgdon powders. As I have gotten older and my hands have become more tender, I find myself moderating my everyday shooting loads. (IV) Winners must undergo a background check (if required) and comply with all other federal, state and local laws. You may even have bullets stopping partway in the barrel with that light of a charge. For many decades reloaders have been arguing over whether or not H110 and W296 were identical. I also have been having good luck lately with 10.0 grains of HS-6 and 250- to 260-grain bullets, which duplicates the performance of the early black powder loads. In my opinion, throats that measure .452 inch are generally ideal with a variety of bullets. Contest void where prohibited by law. barrel differ from a 4 4/5 revolver by Then comes the Freedom Arms Model 97, the original Ruger Vaquero, Ruger Blackhawk, Ruger Redhawk, and the Ruger Super Redhawk. IMR Trail Boss, 4227, IMR 3031 and IMR 4895 are products of IMR (formerly DuPont) Powder Company. 275 grain 45 colt load - The Firing Line Forums Heavy loads that are safe for use in the Ruger Redhawk would destroy a fine Colt SAA. Sep 8, 2016 (Edited) Greetings, recently I received a quantity of .45 185 gr LSWC's. A gun with these internal dimensions offers a much fairer assessment of the accuracy potential of all data. Want to practice more with that big-bore hunting rifle or enjoy that magnum pistol more at the range? The SCAR 15P is chambered for 5.56 NATO and, with its 7.5-inch barrel, is the most compact SCAR to date. For developing the accompanying data, a 1970 vintage (second generation) Colt New Frontier SAA with 5.5-inch barrel was. Recommendations for 45lc 250 gr bullet using Unique Powder? Use a COL at 1.572". It is also noteworthy that many dies manufactured prior to around 1980 fail to size cases adequately to correctly hold .451/.452-inch bullets. The smaller case-capacity means better performance with light loads, which is why I am interested in it. It follows Keiths original idea of three equally sized driving bands, one forming the base, the middle one serving as the top of the grease groove, and the front driving band helping true up the bullet in the cylinder and is located above a generous crimping groove. To protect the privacy and security of winners, names will not be made public. There are many good jacketed bullets for the .45 Colt. The 1894 Winchester Trappers have a long, strong action and even though the chambers are somewhat over-size, they will handle any load you can normally load in a .45 Colt case for use in sixguns with six-shot cylinders. One problem inherent with the original #454424 was the fact that when sized to 0.451 to 0.452 inch, the crimping groove almost disappears. When tactical lights first came out, we all thought the 50 lumens they offered was astounding and could never get better. Because case capacity is large, trying to produce lighter loads with slow-burning powders can give very poor results. Deployed military should use stateside address. I use the same industry measurement as the .45 ACP .470 inch. For example, Lyman mould No. What Happened to the Trail Boss Load Data? For example, the most recent Speer Reloading Manual Number 15 states, Prior to 1945, most .45 Colt revolvers had a bore diameter of .454 inch. On paper, the 357 Magnum was the first cartridge to exceed the 45 Colts muzzle energy, but many knowledgeable sixgunners, Elmer Keith included, believed the 45 Colt actually offered more practical power than the First Magnum. Today, it remains one of our most popular sixgun cartridges. When crimped in its cannelure, the overall length still exceeds industry specifications at 1.652 inches. Deployed military should use stateside address. Need 45 Colt Revolver Loads | 1911Forum Addeddate 2019-02-27 13:08:05 Identifier LymanReloadingHandbook48thEdition2002Ocr_201902 Identifier-ark ark:/13960/t9093sd5t Ocr ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR) flatpoint Keith-style bullets. I use WLP primers. Connecticut Department of Energy & Environmental Protection, Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism, Massachusetts Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, West Virginia Division of Natural Resources, Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, Rhode Island Department of Fish & Wildlife, North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission, New York Department of Environmental Conservation, Mississippi Deptartment of Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks, Minnesota Deptartment of Natural Resources, Michigan Deptartment of Natural Resources, Maine Department of Inland Fisheries & Wildlife, Louisiana Department of Wildlife & Fisheries, Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources, Hawaii Department of Land & Natural Resources, Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission, Alabama Department of Conservation & Natural Resources.

Rick Ross Wingstop Net Worth, Articles L

lyman reloading data 45 colt