People from Martinez drive, at least as far as my acquaintance goes. California is home to nine national parks, which means it has more national parks than any other state in America, including Alaska! P.S. You expressed some of the cons which I forgot about, such as income tax and of course the homelessness. It is small, everyone knows everyone, which has pluses and minuses, but it also provides a hometown feel that many places in California do not. And even in mid-winter, the temperature during the day averages 16C / 61F. There may be a few flaws to living in Davis. Gas is also usually $1-$2 more a gallon than most other states. The housing market in San Francisco is pricing everyone out. I only was able to buy a house the 2nd time due to moving there during the recession- the same house I bought for $210 in 08 now would go for around $400K- it was only 1,200 sq ft. Id like to move back, but my salary of just over 100K just really wont cut it most anywhere- at least to buy a descent house that isnt a 500K shack! Since you don't need to deal with the commute into SF (which can be horrendous, from what I've heard), the only downside I can think of is that you can see the oil refinery 'stacks' from some parts of the town (the neighborhoods above the freeway), and that kind of mars some of the scenery. vehicle trips take 60% longer during rush hour in San Diego. You can also make it to Napa Valley in about an hour when heading to the north. We're moving to the north bay area in couple of months. Apparently, there hasn't been a day below freezing since 1985. Our oldest grandson (who is 20 years old) graduated from Benicia High School and is doing extremely well in college. Several of the bars in the city will even let you bring your dog into the establishment if it isnt a busy night for them. If we take a closer look at each of the categories individually, we see that Benicia ranks well for amenities (A+), crime (A), weather (B+), education (B-) and employment (B). Yet another thing to be mindful of while living in California are the constant droughts. People tend to drive faster and with more aggression, so youll need to turn up your defensive driving skills a notch. California is a pay to play state, theres no way around it. Fairfield is probably 20 minutes away and Vacaville is about 30 minutes away. In addition to being a great spot in the state of Georgia, it is also a great spot in the United States. Niche requires Javascript to work correctly. While knowing about the availability of Disney parks is useful, it would not be my reason for moving across the country to pay high taxes. plus a bunch of chains and a handful of mom and pops. This goes hand-in-hand with the constant sunshine, but California has some of the mildest winters in the country. Its also home to some of the worst performing schools in the country. About Benicia. Pros of Living in California: The Amazing Weather That Always Brings a Smile to Your Face: There is no one I can find who complains about California's weather. recommendations? happy empty nesters. Our main worries are the refinery, convicts and sound from the Amtrak/freight trains. Living in Benicia offers residents a sparse suburban feel and most residents own their homes. The median price for a single-family home in the city was $1.65 million in May 2019. So Im thinking of relocating to California, myself. My husband is a professional musician (piano player) who makes his living playing for famous(and not so famous) singers. But back to CA- cost of housing is the biggest drawback for me. It has excellent schools - all but one are California Distinguished Schools and are actually in the top nationwide. The city has a population of 27,780 people. Despite devastating fires and earthquakes in its early history, the people rebuilt the city to make it the wonderful place it is today. What's the crime rate in Benicia California? Have you ever consider Benicia??? My husband & I moved to Benicia with our 13-year-old son more than 33 years ago. You can also catch the NBA, NHL, and MLS when living in the city. I would suggest one of you nail down your job first and pick the area to buy in second, because if you end up working in Oakland, that's a more reasonable commute from all those communities. Have you looked at Benicia? Youre never too far from the mountains, beach, desert or forests, which is one of the biggest reasons my parents moved to California to raise a family. Those with a degree in Bachelor of Engineering earn $103,528 on average and Ph.D. holders make an average of $115,087. Is buying and building a home in Smith River, Ca any better when it comes to the cons you stated. 7. Its hard to enjoy everything the state has to offer if you arent bringing in a considerable annual income. Most expats find that living in South Korea is an efficient way to save money. Benicia has a refinery and on occasion you can smell it. Both cities are relatively well-run, as these things go; I'd give Pinole the administrative edge. We just made new friends sitting on the sidewalk, sipping an adult beverage with our dogs at our feet. You can embrace your creativity when living in San Francisco. House very expensive old features. 4. Sorry Cali. Then, if your bus is going through Chinatown, expect a lengthy delay. And if you're looking to be as remote as possible, there are plenty of opportunities to live in the mountains without any neighbors in eyesight. You may want to check it out. If you arent involved in the high-tech sector, there are still excellent jobs in healthcare, hospitality, and indirect positions that contribute to the economy. 1. A couple of them are atypical learners/creative types. Any time you add a bridge to the equation, it gets dicey, so in general I'd say Martinez is better than Benicia strictly from the commute perspective. It's also fairly diverse (each person has their own definition of diverse, but as one point of evidence there are 35 different languages spoken at my child's public elementary school in Davis). There is no way I can be a home owner in this day and age. One thing you quickly learn after moving to California is that you will never go hungry. Like wills, living trusts (formally known as revocable trusts) list the people who will receive your property after you die, leaving you free to manage it while you're alive. beautiful parks and the social activities in town are always wonderful. A wonderful place to raise a family! I believe you have given an honest look at what to expect when moving to California. - The Weather Northern California is home to a lot of wonderful weather. Benicia is one of the the best places to raise a family in the Bay Area right now. But which state is best to stay for a loner like me who has zero support from any angle. There are plenty of activities to enjoy when living in San Francisco. The median household income in California is among the best in the nation at $77,000 (as of June 2019). This city and its surrounding suburbs are a great place to live, and with the help of Landing, your move can be stress-free and on your terms. Not each of them applies to every state. You will need to deal with the tax situation when living in San Francisco. Thank you! The majority of Redding residents report their race to be White; this is followed by Asian and American Indian and Alaskan. I memorized a script. Another interesting fact is that San Francisco is one of the few large metro areas where Latinos are the majority ethnicity, with 39.1% of the population coming from this background. The perks of living in San Francisco are almost endless. It also is the place of events, like town parades that seem to come straight out of the movies! Kathy, Re: considering a move to Sacramento The downtown is indeed walkable and quite charming, and right by the water. Most points in downtown Martinez are (for those without mobility limitations) within walking distance of the Amtrak station. If you are moving to the area with your family, then Noe Valley tends to be the place where you end up. People from Benicia drive to Pleasant Hill BART if they're going to take BART. Does anyone have any negative or positive experiences with the above, especially the refinery. Youll discover that not only is it one of the best sports-related metro areas in the country, but San Francisco offers several cultural options as well. Which city would you recommend social wise? But because of it's smaller size and little room for growth, it doesn't have some of the more popular stores like Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, nor does it have much recreation, like bowling or a theater, so it's a bit inconvenient to have to go to Vallejo or across the bridge for some of those things. Whether you head down to enjoy the Golden Gate Bridge, go across to see the redwoods, stay on the piers, or enjoy the unique culture, some people find that they can fill up their free time without ever going somewhere. I was orig from CA. There might be a neighborhood for everyone to find in San Francisco, but where you choose to live is going to become the definition of who you are. By 1900, that figure had doubled again. Benicia is in Solano County. You are going to need some cash to make things happen if you want to start living here. The community often has little events that are great for meeting new people. They both have advantages of amazing views from many neighborhoods. Median real estate prices in Redding come in at $232,000, which is 43.3% lower than the California average. Fuel is also expensive, averaging $4.20 per gallon in May 2019, making it the most expensive place to fill up in the country. It seems we can afford Benicia, Martinez and parts of Concord. Your property taxes are going to be higher if you own too since the property values are skyrocketing in the city. I not ready to drop off the vine yet, but I want a lifestyle change. It tends to be in the 50s in December, around the 80s in the summer, and youre going to get plenty of rain thanks to its position near the water. Unfortunately, my pay will only be just over 6 figures and everything I am reading in post sounds like I might be living in a tent. If so, make sure to site a proper source otherwise you are not adding value to the conversation and everyones time is precious. If you live downtown, you can walk to everything without a car. Benicia seems to have a condensed downtown with a nice mix of businesses, Pinole is closer to the city and looks to have its downtown more spread out, but also a very cultural, thriving community. My hubby will be working in vallejo. No longer do you need to be stuck in long-term lease agreements. To view the purposes they believe they have legitimate interest for, or to object to this data processing use the vendor list link below. The town puts on wonderful holiday celebrations and the entire town comes out to celebrate. Here are 5 benefits of living in California. Several apartment complexes and condos offer these areas as well. Instead, it's normally transferred, or "retitled," into the trust. You can also find affordable rentals around the state in popular cities like Henderson, where a two-bedroom apartment averages around $1,700. San Francisco was named one of the top 10 most beautiful cities in the world in 2019. Taxes are high in San Francisco, but this disadvantage applies to the entire state of California. I love the East Bay especially Berkeley. You have people working in Silicon Valley making six figures, but living out of their vehicle because they cant find a place they can afford. Select a livability score between 1-100, 2. Niche is not a lender and does not endorse the products of these advertisers. An average meal for two at a mid-range restaurant is about $80, which is double the cost of what the national average is in the United States. Im looking for input on areas that have nice high schools(safe). Pinole is not too far from the Rodeo refinery although I don't recall ever smelling it. An amount below 100 means Benicia is cheaper than the US average. I don't think I could ever find a more lovely town. If you make more than $1 million per year, then theres a 1% surtax to pay as well. I also have found from talking to my artsy friends who grew up in Benicia that they felt fairly isolated as teenagers because they were just that little bit too far from Berkeley/San Francisco and most teen activities were focused around sports. Benicia is in Solano County. The best areas in Redding and in surrounding cities are easier to find when you are able to make informed decisions. Also, I am not aware of any arts scene in Pinole, though of course I could be wrong. The public schools in Benicia are highly rated. When making a big move. You will also find some amazing mountains and wonderful outdoor activities. 2. We live in Benicia, and moved here for the great schools. If I need Berkeley or SF fix, we just drive down and can be on the Bay Bridge in 20mins with no traffic. But if you lived walking distance to downtown you would not see them. There is a main street, called First Street, that is the location of the town's main restaurants and lots of little shops and boutiques. Here are some of the more popular things to do in Benicia: Benicia State Capitol and Historical Park, Benicia State Recreation Area, and Benicia Historical Museum. Have you ever consider Benicia? Heres a real-life example: A close friend of mine works for Patagonia and jokes that suits are all but banned from the company. Ive lived in Sacramento twice- fun times, but you never have much money to spare. Dictionary Entries Near pros and cons prosaist pros and cons Prosarthri See More Nearby Entries Cite this Entry Style A Travel Website About Portland and Oregon. If we take a closer look at the affordability of homes in Benicia, well see that the home price to income ratio is 5.5, which is 14.1% lower than the California average. Also people say move to Texas- rethink that- not only are prices going up there, but the weather SUX with humidity, heat, and no mountains so escape to, no snow skiing. Obviously there are always going to be exceptions to the rule, but by and large, I feel welcomed in California in a way I dont feel welcome elsewhere. 2. Though it is a suburb of Vallejo, it is significantly different. Are people dying by the hands of the government in California or did I miss something? If youre used to a temperate coastal climate, then the weather in San Francisco may not seem like much of a disadvantage. Everything else becomes a lot less important if it turns out that home prices in Benicia are simply unattainable. Im a California native and have lived in San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco over the past ten years. All the advantages of Benicia at Vallejo housing prices. Moving to California means leaving behind bitter winters and freezing temperatures, which greatly improves my quality of life. If youre in the film industry you probably already know that Los Angeles is the place to be. Assuming that Benicia meets all of your requirements, the next most important item to examine is the affordability of real estate in Benicia. Benicia CA Real Estate & Homes For Sale 27 Agent listings 1 Other listing Sort: Homes for You 565 Lori Dr APT 5, Benicia, CA 94510 WARRING & ASSOCIATES $349,000 1 bd 1 ba 641 sqft - Condo for sale 424 Greenbrier Ct, Benicia, CA 94510 KELLER WILLIAMS REALTY-EAST BA $695,000 3 bds 2 ba 1,566 sqft - House for sale Loading. By the 1870s, the first cable cars began to operate, providing a public transportation option for a city that reached a population of 150,000 people. I like it a lot and it is definitely walkable and has a lot of charming small businesses on 1st street. However, high salaries are offset by a high cost of living. However, it can be a little too hot for some. Select any title to view the full question and replies. ben suarez bread / joseph wiley kim burrell / pragmatic theory of truth pros and cons. These are the pros and cons of living in San Francisco today that are worth considering. I hope you found this post helpful. Taxes too high. Enter California, a state that averages 260+ days of sunshine per year. Perhaps the most notable benefit could be the appreciation of your new home. I have worked for both cities but not lived in either. Hmm. See, I can't say enough good things about it. thank you Hmm. Needless to say, the houses cost a lot less in Roseville! Right now not for something specific like work or study, I just really need the change. I take my daughter to a lot of activities in Benicia. but not great in my opinion restaurants, and there are only local stores such as Raley's or Safeway. Long days, regardless of mode of travel. We lived in Benicia for 10 yrs and we made the big mistake of moving away from it. Knowing if your home will appreciate on a long term or even a short term basis should be factored into your decision making. When you move to California, one thing will become clear very quickly California is proof that climate change is real. I would also love any information you can give about that in relation to California. I would love feedback. Ive never found it easy to get from Point A to Point B using public transportation, which is why I wouldnt even consider moving to California without a car (with the exception of San Francisco). And almost anywhere in the city, you can see the water. There is very little police protection. Mountain living is ideal for people who appreciate peace, quiet, and the chance to inhabit their own little slice of mostly untouched nature. You can walk to the local park, but everything else is about 1.5 miles away. Although the high school has a strong arts program, overall the district spends a lot of time and emphasison test prep and there is significant homework starting in Kindergarten. The best areas in Benicia and in surrounding cities are easier to find when you are able to make informed decisions. There are two Macy's stores near Benicia - one in Concord (about 15 miles away) and the other in Fairfield (also about 15 miles away.) The median sale price is $407,500, which is lower than neighboring state of California. We will be renting. We are also less than 20mins away from Napa. Over 80% of the city was destroyed at the time, 3,000 people were killed, and 250,000 were left homeless. I worked a few years in downtown Benicia commuting from Berkeley this combo. Im 25 now and I guess I can say that its not the easiest for me to make new connections. Additionally, Barcelona enjoys a bit more than 2500 hours of sunshine a year - about average for the south of Europe. Dont base your schedule on what it tells you. 2 : good points and bad points Each technology has its pros and cons. My 'husband' and I want to move to either Benicia or Pinole. There is a very active moms club with about 130 members. Overall, most people seem to be okay with living in Chico. Disadvantages of a Living Trust Funding a Trust Is Expensive . Public transportation in San Francisco covers the entire city. Pro: The NHS Means (Mostly) Free Healthcare Con: But It's Super Slow Pro: Cheap Airlines Mean More Travel Con: But Expensive Visas Mean Less Accessibility Pro: Easy Access to Europe Con: Brexit and Politics Pro: Snow is Nothing Compared to Canada Con: The Weather is Miserable Pro: Adorable Cottage Homes Both times we were military and received housing allowance. I was born and raised in the East Bay. Even though there was a lag in growth for the first time in forever in 2018, the rental market in San Francisco is insane and the housing market isnt any better. Home appreciation rates are a good way to generate tax-free equity on a long term basis. We actaully have a daughter who goes to a school in North Berkeley so I drive down everyday. Can you give me some advice? She developedasthma after moving there. My friend who lives in Benicia says she would not make that decision again. we love it here! My husband and I were starting to plan a move there at one point when we thought he'd be working in Sacramento; alas, that didn't come to fruition, but we were geared up and excited for Davis - you might want to check it out. Moving to California means leaving behind bitter winters and freezing temperatures, which greatly improves my quality of life. People are very interested in each other and generally extremely friendly. Discover the schools, companies, and neighborhoods that are right for you. 2. Ill be the first to admit I dont know what the right solution for homelessness is, but I want to be transparent about it for anyone considering moving to California because you will notice it on a daily basis. But it could be different on some days; I'm not sure. Can you share your insights? Thanks to its temperate climate, it is also one of the best walking communities in the United States. There are unique offerings in each area, with a lot of pros and cons to consider with each one, but there are also stereotypes that youll want to consider. Some places in Florida have been ranked 8% lower to 18% higher in cost compared to the average American city.

Bob Lorenz Fear Thy Neighbor, Articles P

pros and cons of living in benicia, ca