Brian Park took this number one SCI ranked common grizzly bear by a black powder hunter in August, 2005, while hunting Alaska's Game Management Unit 24. I have to believe that somebody with only a single-shot would not have taken a shot at a bear that size if the situation wasnt desperate, head shot or no. My pulse quickened at the realization that I very well might be getting a chance at what I had come to think of as my bear. During the ride out, listening to the hum of the two-stroke, I reflected on the amazing experience, replaying it in my head. In one other case, a prospector had a single shot .22 and a box of shorts. They chose well. I totally understand your skepticism. Taking the new World Record brown bear with my bow was just a bonus. Today, they are still among the biggest grizzlies to be recorded., The hole from the single-shot that dropped the grizzly is clearly seen in the skull, beside the right eye socket. I wonder if she had to change shorts?????????? Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bears head. YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video. It weighed 1200 pounds at the time of its death. The bears skull was purchased from Bella Twin by Reinhold Eben-Ebenau. Anxiously, I scanned through the pictures, and suddenly, there he was. That was near Slave Lake, Alberta, and the bear Twin killed turned out to be a world record that stood for a good long time. I suspect that she was tracking the bear in her sights. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. The long would have fired a 29 grain bullet at 1240 feet per second. It is recorded that Bella pumped several other shots into the grizzly after it fell. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. An educated guess is a square size between 9 and 10 feet, considering shrinkage of tanned hides, and estimating the position of the tail from the picture. This one is priceless, because of its provenance. So spot-and-stalk hunting is all but impossible, and as a rule, these bears have gotten big because they are very good at avoiding people. The Buffalo waited for him to come down. Grizzly 399 (born 1996) is a grizzly bear inhabiting Grand Teton National Park and Bridger-Teton National Forest.She is followed by as many as 40 wildlife photographers, and millions of tourists come to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem to see her and the other grizzly bears. The holes in the Skull verify that it was a .22. The bear was very close, only a few yards away. Such a shot resulted in instantaneous, humane death. The man emptied his semi-automatic 7mm magnum rifle into the bear, killing it in the nick of time. It stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. A photo of the skull showing some of the bullet holes can be accessed at: https://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.ca/record-book.html A very popular 22 calibre rifle used in Alberta in 1953 was manufactured by H. W. Cooey Machine & Arms Company in Cobourg, Ontario, Canada. These cookies help provide information on metrics the number of visitors, bounce rate, traffic source, etc. The bear dropped like a rock. 140. The bear's size didn't surprise at least one hunting advocate, who said the high weight was the . i wonder where that 22 is now, certainly the collectors value would be much higher knowing its history with a grizz. Several times I have had to put down large hogs in the 300-400 pound range that were injured. if you are going to cut the main arteries and veins in the neck but I think that at least a .38 is used on cattle.The only safe shot would be in the ear hole going right to the brain. Bella Twin thought it was less risk to shoot rather than not shoot. One study found that the average weight for a coastal male was around 408 kg (899 lb), and . I mouthed the word grizzly, as Ive found that black bears come in very quietly, but big grizzlies will break branches before coming to the bait in order to scare off other bears. The measurements are precise and unchanging. Bellas grizzly was the largest in North America at the time, being a few centimeters larger than my dads. It was taken in Unalakleet, Alaska in 2004 by Dennis Dunn. also: who else can say they took a bear with a 22? I have been in contact with the curator of the museum and requested a nice color picture of the gun and he will get me one once they move to their new building and unbox all the exhibits. He ended up emptying his gun on the bear, which dropped 10 yards from him. The skull from the author's giant interior grizzly. This cookie is used to keep track on user informations and reports it to Alexa analytics service. I dont take my ink lightly. We do not know what year the picture was taken. Dave Auger appears to have been unarmed. It had been used hard on her trapline. Amazing story. From "Biggest Bears Of 2006" in the March/April 2007 issue of Bear Hunting Magazine, due on newsstands late . But the grizzly came to close and Bella Twin shot the grizzly in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. Wrong, he said. Bella Twin killed that World Record Grizzly Bear in 1953 using 22 Long (not Long Rifle) cartridges. Twin was carrying her battered single-shot .22 when the two were approached by a gigantic grizzly. You can see from the picture that the bullets entered the skull at very close to a right angle. But is the diminutive cartridge good for anything but small game hunting and plinking? Bullshit aside. If all I had was a .22 up against a griz, Id need a box of shorts too Well, any thoughts a home invader might have of getting away from her house safely are pretty much slim and none.. Disclaimer: The story has developed some inconsistencies. The day was close to 16 hours long at Slave Lake on 10 May, 1953. This is no reflection on the .270. The hide has been tanned. Bears have very thick skulls. I read from a seemingly knowledgeable source that it was a .22 long cartridge, which is different than long rifle, lr much less powerful, closer to a short (Ive read 10% more than a short). His dog and a griz got into a tangle, and he kept plugging away at the bears head with his .22 and shorts. They tried it another time just to see if it was a fluke, but it worked a second time. 65. He added himself to the story as a seven-year-old boy in the episode, to bring the story to life for students. | On 10 May, 1953, a front was passing through Slave Lake, a village on the South shore of Lesser Slave Lake in Alberta, Canada. A hunter in Alaska has been credited with killing a record grizzly bear, according to Boone and Crockett Club officials. Some of the data that are collected include the number of visitors, their source, and the pages they visit anonymously. I wonder how close the buff was. The grizzlies, however, were not so cooperative. Author Larry Loyie, Bellas grandson, was proud of his grandmother. To endeavor to take a giant bear with a bow and arrow remains no less fantastic today than it did in Saxton Popes time. This closeup shows the penciled score. He says, just because you only have [place name of perceived under gun here], doesnt mean you necessarily have to curl up and die. 145. Your email address will not be published. A freakin 22: The 1953 World record grizzly killed by a woman with a .22 has been known for decades. She walked up to the bear and fired another six or seven rounds of .22 long into its brain, in the same spot. There has been a lot of speculation over the intervening years about what exactly happened that day there on the trapline. For me, this story started at the Royal Museum of Alberta in downtown Edmonton where I was doing a piece on the value of firearms for the Canadian Firearms Journal. That record was in place for some time. YouTube sets this cookie via embedded youtube-videos and registers anonymous statistical data. It fell 7/16 of an inch short of the current overall Boone & Crockett record grizzly bear--a skull found in Alaska back in 1976 that measured 27 and 13/16 inches. The hide was displayed for many years in the Slave Lake beer hall, nailed to the wall. Reinhold Eben EbenauRolands fatheracquired the skull and this remains a part of the Eben-Ebenau family museum on the Northshore Homestead Ranch (www.northshorehomestead.com) in Northern Alberta where Roland still raises bison. Other uncategorized cookies are those that are being analyzed and have not been classified into a category as yet. This is the case here. Ready for an Eco-River Adventure? had a single shot .22 and a box of shorts. The only gun they had was Bellas single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. I was actually a little embarrassed. Aggressive management action over decades focused on keeping bears out of trash, reducing deaths caused by humans, and doing everything possible to keep female bears of reproductive age with cubs . The .22 caliber rimfire cartridge is the classic beginner round. There was no wind, and the bear was oblivious to our presence. Grisham: Forest Service is Failing New Mexicans in Decision to Shoot Feral Cows in Gila Wilderness, Armed Self-Defense Chronicles: When a Detroit Doctor Defended Himself and His Family Against a Racist Mob. Several accounts have been offered for what happened. The account of the incident appeared in a popular book, "Book of a Hundred Bears" published in 1909 by F.D. Let's take a little trip back in firearms history to 1953. They spend the hunting seasons along alder-, willow-, and brush-choked riversmosquito-infested waters with rarely more than 30 or 40 yards of visibility. The bear's skull measured 27 6/16, making it the largest grizzly taken by a hunter ever recorded. However, my dad is from Slave Lake and knew these folks personally and would verify every detail. Perhaps someone in Alberta has access to records that give us more definitive information. My standard measure of value was how many .22 cartridges does this cost?. 2017 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice and link are included. But thats what happened on May 10, 1953. It was Bella Twins.. Perhaps Bella Twin and/or Dave Auger went for help. With facts like this about this entire thing how can you believe any of it ? Today its stored at the Royal Alberta Museum in Edmonton, too threadbare to be displayed. A short time before, hed shot a giant grizzly, and sent his bears skull measurements to The Boone and Crockett Club, to be scored against other North American big game. He was just turning his life around. A hunter in Alaska has been credited with killing a record grizzly bear, according to Boone and Crockett Club officials. I talked to Constance Brissenden, wife of Larry Loyie who was grandson of Bella Twin. Besides, when the SHTF I wont be trying to protect myself from bears. I carry a small 22 in my pocket all the time. This cookie can only be read from the domain they are set on and will not track any data while browsing through other sites. Quantserve sets the mc cookie to anonymously track user behaviour on the website. My tattoos include a map of Alaska, a Dall ram I shot set in a backdrop of a topographical map, a wolf trap and pack of wolves under the northern lights. Bella was technically Larrys great aunt, Kokum to Larry. There are no berries available on 10 May in the vicinity of Slave Lake. It was hit behind the shoulder and just stood and bled out. She was born in 1890. When standing fully upright on its hind legs, a large male could reach a height of 3 meters (9.8 feet). Big bear little mama, boltless .22 is no drama. She paid the insurance. Dont assume a large animal is dead. Bella knew animal anatomy very well. I was told the Eskimos and native Indians use the single shot 22lr riffle to kill the big bears like this because of a natural trait the bears have of standing on their hind legs when they attack, growling and opening their mouths. exemption for fair use of copyrighted works. Kodiak supports some of the largest land-based carnivores in the world, a unique bear population that has been genetically isolated for 12,000 years. The story claimed a guy who worked for the forest service came across a huge grizzly bear that ended up charging him from 50 yards away. Three hours later, the auto body man had taken down the grizzly that. This lady is my grandmothers sister and I can assure you this story is true. And that it was on the cut line, the forestry cut line outside of town. The big grizzly dropped, kicked and then lay still. The Rifle used by Bella Twin is a Cooey Ace 1. This is entirely believable on a day with strong winds. C.I.L. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. You just need to know enough about your animal to know where to put theRead more . 22s were and still are used to cleanly kill cattle for butchering. This bears skull was 16 9/16 long and 9 14/16 wide, for a total score of 26 7/16. I have read of at least two other cases where grizzly bears were killed with .22 rifles. Your street cred is tied to yours and your client trophies and your recent world record gets bested by a quiet lady with a .22? He described Bella as a tiny woman, and he was not a large man. He observed, Bella was a good hunter, he said. I had undoubtedly taken one of the largest interior grizzly bears in the world, ironically, with my Bears Paw recurve and Grizzly broadheads. The natives were hiding behind the mound. The few times Ive seen big grizzlies on a bait in person, they were as spooky as the wariest whitetail; if they smell you, you will never know they were there. he has said the gun is (in his words) in deplorable condition as BellaRead more . After five unsuccessful hunting trips, Debias finally got his. Ive neverRead more , I doubt that a 22 rimfire shot will kill if the bullet strike the skull BUT A SHOT INTO THE BRAIN will kill. Whats do you think this gun is worth? Skis are easily the most efficient way to cover snowy ground on foot in winter. From backpack sheep hunting adventure stories to DIY tips to gear and gun reviews, he covers it all with a perspective thats based in experience. Parks Canada said the recent forensic necropsy of a female grizzly bear suggests she was killed by a goat, after the horns pierced the bear's armpits and neck. Well I was expecting The Bella Twins from WWE , theyre hawt ! Early 1960s, North Fork of the the Flathead river in Montana, .22 H&R 9 shot revolver, grizzly bear. A current CCI Standard Velocity Long Rifle, at 1070 feet per second has 3 percent more energy than the 1953 High Velocity long. The huge grizzly was a world record in 1953. It did not qualify for Pope and Young because Debias used a Lumenok on his arrow. Another collector purchased the bear skull and had it sent in for measurement, which is how it made the record books. One of the bullets made its way completely through the skull and exited the other side. Its been a while but I think Bella shot this bear with aRead more , Indeed a Cooey 22 which is held by the Royal Alberta Museum, bedded in a piece of bike tire and attached to the stock with hockey tape, the museum has the hide of the bear as well, neither are on regular display. Foil wrap campfire cooking | Make easy, tasty meals for outdoor energy. Published May 2, 2022 4:00 PM EDT. And when he did, she put a bullet through the soft pallet of the roof of his mouth, into the brain, killing him instantly. A grizzly bear that fatally mauled a Montana man near Yellowstone National Park this spring was likely defending a moose carcass and may have continued to aggressively guard the cache . I recall buying longs in the middle 1960s from a gas station. More penetration than some common pistol rounds. The killing took place on October 14, 2019, in Morris County, New Jersey, and is believed to be a world record. 203 1/8. The current World's Record grizzly bear is 26 3/16, taken in Unalakleet, Alaska in 2004 by Dennis Dunn. Its not that we dont feel the excitement in the moment, sometimes we just dont realize what we have within the moment. In the spring, the bears make their way down out of the mountains into the willow-choked rivers in search of newborn moose calves. It does not store any personal data. Before I read this story, I looked at the rifle with a magnifying glass, & thought, That looks like the 1st firearm I ever owned, a Stevens single shot rifle. It was given to me for Christmas when I was 14 y/o, in 1947. Even on a buff, the eyes are vulnerable to a .22. I quickly found out that this was anything but true. Experienced hunters will take advantage of concealment if it is available. In the book, Bella is surprised by the bear that suddenly rises above them in the bush, arms raised high. WEST GLACIER - A grizzly bear fell to its death Thursday morning in Glacier National Park. His huge front paws were raised high. This story reminds me of a sort of mantra a guy at a gun board I frequent always chants, whenever the subject of home protection comes up. Griz will come in to a bait, but usually only once or twice before moving on. Explore the Big Waters of the Mighty Mississippi, Review: Kuru Quest boots fill fashion and work needs, Hunt with a flintlock rifle, then make squirrel mulligan stew, Video: Try this easy way to make effective survival firestarter, Review: Preppers Long-Term Survival Guide by Jim Cobb, Five things to know about hunting and eating snakes, Five tips for keeping your feet warm in cold weather. My education on the ease of grizzly baiting involved night after night of sitting in a stand, waiting for bears my trail cams told me were in the neighborhood but that never showed up. Okay, fearlesstotally. The Safari Club International Record Book I told myself, Youve got to calm down, Tyler. She fired and the bear dropped. The very idea of shooting grizzly bears with the bow and arrow strikes most people as so absurd that they laugh at the mention of it. Saxton Pope, 1923. Cant imagine that choice of need to shoot or not and ones survival counted on it. Bella Twin was a calm, quiet, clear-headed Cree woman with a trap line. The cookie is set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin and is used to store whether or not user has consented to the use of cookies. It was good that the weather was cool. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. He lives in Fairbanks, Alaska and has been covering a variety of topics for OL for more than a decade. When we talk about shot placement we mean understanding anatomy as much as we mean marksmanship. . They weigh up to 1,500 pounds. I live in Lesser Slave Lake and this is a story that can be confirmed by many townspeople that have lived here since before 1950. Performance cookies are used to understand and analyze the key performance indexes of the website which helps in delivering a better user experience for the visitors. As usual, black bears showed up first, and I was able to help my wife take her first bear with a bow. However, the validity of this . While the grizzly was a world record the method of shooting Polar and Grizzly bears is not uncommon. Provenance means the history of an object and is tied up with the story that can be told about the object. He asked Dave Auger to go into the bush and bring back the skull, says son Roland. In 1986, another record-class grizzly was killed by Alvars Barkis of Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, with a .300 Magnum; and a medium-size one, about 500 pounds, was killed by 12-year-old Gary H. Holmes of Kimberly, BC, with a .25/06. Breathe. The huge boar came right to the bait and flopped down, facing us but without giving me a shot, so I had a chance to collect myself. The oldest known wild Kodiak bear was a 34-year-old sow. You may be hardcore, but youll never be 63-year-old grandma with a .22 Cooey hardcore. posters and do not necessarily represent the opinion of Free Republic or its This was his Mother. They do that before they kill you. Lawrence had never seen anything that big. Dont mess with country girls. Larry Fitzgerald and a pal were moose hunting near Fairbanks, Alaska, when they came across fresh bear tracks in the snow. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. After some pictures, we started skinning at 2:30 a.m. We finally got all of the meat and the hundred-pound hide loaded into my river boat at 7:30, with little room or energy to spare. And the second thing was that people said it wasn't her that shot the bear. Only a World's Record skull found in 1976 in Alaska was bigger than that of the nearly 9-foot bear shot and killed by Larry Fitzgerald, 35, outside Fairbanks, Alaska. The skull has to be allowed to dry and shrink for three . With a skull measuring 27 and 6/16 inches, this is the biggest grizzly bear ever killed by a hunter in the Boone & Crockett record book. Almost my entire family (military vets included) carries a .22lr. The bear charged the worker, who shot it with the .22 revolver. They shot the elephant to make it turn so they could shoot it with the big rifle, but it just stood and then fell over. Some people mistakenly assume that hunting grizzlies over bait is easy, or even cheating. Grizzly bears are long-lived mammals, generally living into their mid to late 20s, although some wild bears have lived for over 35 years. Grizzly bears are protected in Idaho by state and federal law. I knew that at any moment, the grizzly would jump up and charge after the approaching black bear, and I might not see him again. It was all a blur, but I watched my arrow bury itself up to the vanes behind his shoulder, pushing the Grizzly single-bevel broadhead out in front of the opposite shoulder. I could feel my pulse in my neck. Photos of a giant bear killed in Alaska first surfaced on a message board in 2004. In the top picture by Engler, the rifle is missing the bolt. This is just a bear. Rodney Debias of Windber, Pennsylvania took an Alaskan grizzly bear in 2009 that was officially recognized as the new Pope & Young world record in 2016. Twin wasnt some trigger-happy loon with no forest experience. It always amazes me how an animal so big and powerful can appear and disappear like a ghost. What actually happened is that in October 2001 a 22-year-old airman from Eielson Air Force Base named Ted Winnen killed a grizzly bear on Hinchinbrook Island. I also didnt realize how luck I was to be able to get an arrow in him. "the big brown bear came lolloping over the mountain", FreeRepublic.com is powered by software copyright 2000-2008 John Robinson. Ammo Deals: ZSR Ammunition 9mm 124 Grain FMJ 1000 Rounds $259.99 FREE S&H, AR-15 Barrel Length Does It Even Matter? Too, I interviewed Roland Eben-Ebenau, the son of professional bear guide and world record holder on his own right. Anyone whos come across one knows what Fred Bear meant a half century ago when he said that the thrill of tangling with a grizzly bear cleanses the soul. or Dominion High Velocity cartridges. The largest Grizzly bear skull on record was not taken by a hunter, but was found dead near Lone Mountain, Alaska by Gordon Scott in 1976. The closer you get to the story the more interesting it gets. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. The oldest boar was 27. We do not know what year the picture was taken. People said two things. My money is on it being a Cooeygood ol Canadian classic. The biggest interior grizzly bear ever killed by a bowhunter was shot in May 2009 by Pennsylvania hunter Rob Debias. The hunter climbed a nearby tree. Amazing. I believe IT is possible to kill a big Bear with that type of riffle. About 1200 fps, I think. And before that, the world-record grizzly succumbed to a .22 Rimfire! If I ever find anymore longs Ill put it in as my new self defense weapon. Dont mess with country girls. Cant get anymore badazz than that! That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. The other side of the story would have been two local Cree Indians eaten by bear. Several times I have had to put down large hogs in the 300-400 pound range that were injured. A 417lb grizzly bear dragged a California woman out of her tent and killed her near Ovando, Montana, last summer in a "predatory attack", wildlife authorities reported. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics". We used to see only black bears, but in 2011, I had pictures of more than 15 different grizzlies on my trail cameras. That bear was killed by Rodney Debias near Unalakleet, Alaska and earned an initial entry score of 27 and 3/16, a full inch larger than the current record, which is held by OutdoorHub. The hide has been tanned. When I interviewed Brissenden she said to me, Look, she was a Cree and a top-notch hunter. In my research, it appears that somewhere, there is a picture of the bears skull, showing 8 or 9 holes. Make sure to. Stent seems to have one of the best descriptions of the event on the Internet. He has degrees in meteorology and mining engineering, and recently retired from the Department of Defense after a 30 year career in Army Research, Development, Testing, and Evaluation. Such meetings sometimes result in a mauled man or shot bear, or both. This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. October 28, 2019 4796 Save 13 Photographs and an accompanying story of a guy who had just killed a massive world record bear in 2001. One of the largest grizzlies I have ever heard of was killed by an Indian woman with one shot from an old single-shot .22 Stevens rifle.. Safe traveling in bear country begins before you get on the trail. GRIZZLY BEAR-19. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. I own cooey ace1 my self ans let me tell you that is an accurate 22 caliber for its size. Then we heard the sound of a branch breaking in the distance. It was a story that myself and all my cousins were told as little kids growing up in Slave Lake. The man-eating monster Alaska bear that refuses to die in cyberspace was shot in fall 2001 on Prince William Sound's Hinchinbrook Island by a then-22-year-old airman from Eielson Air Force Base . YSC cookie is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos on Youtube pages. If she saw the bear on the cutline coming towards them, they wouldn't wait. This grizzly meant a lot to me at the time, but it means even more to me now. That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. So they said it had to be Dave. It appears to be an inexpensive boys type .22 bolt action single shot. In fact I remember him telling me this story in the 1970s when I was a boy learning to shoot. Tex, My father owned a Cooey and, as I recall, his would not take a 22 long rifle. There was also at least one case where a .22 was used to kill and elephant. You can still use itits ok. The wooden gun stock was well-worn and broken, attached to the barrelled action with hockey tape. These cookies ensure basic functionalities and security features of the website, anonymously. Copyright 2023 Leon Pantenburg, All Rights Reserved, Survival Common Sense Blog | Emergency Preparedness, World record grizzly killed with a .22 caliber rifle, https://survivalcommonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Bella-Twin-is-shown-with-the-hide-from-the-world-record-grizzly-bear-312x400.jpg, https://survivalcommonsense.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/22-Long-Rifle-474x400.jpg. And after they quarter you, they go all Pulp Fiction medieval on your ass. By Dean Weingarten Bella Twin is shown with the hide from the world record grizzly bear Arizona - ( Ammoland.com )- On 10 May, 1953, Bella Twin was hunting small game with her partner,. YouTube - Store data on what videos from YouTube the user has seen - 2. At 3:30 a.m. one morning, Jim Landess heard banging on his Sterling, Alaska, home. I would NOT be out there with just a .22lr or worse, unarmed, period. A .22 rifle can be an important part of any prepper/survival gear. May 10, 1957, she killed a massive grizzly bear with her Cooey Ace #1 .22. Some folks say she tracked it, went after it. It was cool, cloudy, and windy. He waited until the bull grazed to within 75 yards or less and dropped the 1 ton bull with one well placed shot to the brain. The bears have had plenty of time these 16 years to fill out to their maximum potential. The CCI Standard Velocity generates 102 foot pounds.

Denver Biscuit Company Nutrition, Zillow Port St Lucie Newest Listings, Sonja Henie House Los Angeles, Articles W

world record grizzly bear killed with 22